History of Knoxville: Chapter 14: Transportation - Charles McClung, the Pioneer Road Builder — Stage-Coach Lines — Progress in Turnpike Roads — The Tennessee River and Tributaries — First Steamboat at Knoxville — Railroad Building — The East Tennessee and Georgia and the East Tennessee and Virginia Roads — The Great Southern System — Roads to Atlanta and Cumberland Gap — Bridges — Street Railways.
Kingston Pike - Kingston Pike (part of U.S. Route 70; also designated but unsigned as Tennessee State Route 1) is a highway in Knox County, Tennessee, that was the primary route from downtown Knoxville, formerly James White's Fort, to the western edge of Knox County before Interstate 40 was constructed in the 1960s. The highway is a primary east–west county artery, cutting through affluent and commercial portions of west Knox County.
National Railway Historical Society (NRHS), Old Smoky Chapter - Rail history, projects, and publications.
Southern Terminal - The Southern Terminal is railway passenger and warehouse depot located at 306 W. Depot Street in Knoxville, Tennesee. The present depot was constructed in 1903, although previous structures are documented in the city from the 1850s. The 1903 depot was designed by Frank P. Milburn, who had designed train stations throughout the south. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and lies within Knoxville's Jackson Avenue Historic District.
Tennessee Central Railway - First chartered in 1886 as the Nashville and Knoxville Railroad, the Tennessee Central Railway was conceived with the intent to connect two of Tennessee's four major cities: Nashville and Knoxville.
Three Rivers Rambler - A scenic 1-1/4 hour round-trip from Volunteer Landing to the forks of the Tennessee River aboard the "Three Rivers Rambler." An historic steam engine, passenger and open-air rail car experience. Saturday and Sunday only (April-November). Private parties and charters available.
USS Knoxville, PF-64 - PF-64 was launched 10 July 1943 by the Leatham D. Smith Shipyard, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, under a Maritime Commission contract. She was sponsored by Mrs. Cecelia Daniel. She was delivered in New Orleans, Louisiana on 29 December 1943 and after extensive engine and hull alterations was commissioned 29 April 1944 under the command of LCDR G. R. Reynolds, USCG.