Bridges in Knox County
Mines in Knoxville
Towers in Knoxville
Andrew Johnson Building - The Andrew Johnson Building is a high-rise office building in downtown Knoxville. Completed in 1930, the 203-foot structure was Knoxville's tallest building until the construction of the Plaza Tower in 1978. The building was originally home to the Andrew Johnson Hotel and is now used for office space by Knox County. In 1980, the Andrew Johnson Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
© 2018 by KnoxvilleTennessee.com All rights reserved.
Andrew Johnson National Historic Site - The Andrew Johnson National Historic Site honors the life of the 17th President.
Bijou Theatre - The Bijou Theatre is a theater located in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. Built in 1909 as an addition to the Lamar House Hotel, the theater has, at various times in its history, served as a venue for live performances of both traditional theatre and vaudeville, a second-run moviehouse, a commencement stage for the city's African-American high school, and a pornographical show place.
Blount Mansion - Tennessee's frontier capital, 1792-1796. In Knoxville.
Crescent Bend & Gardens - Beginning in 1832, Drury Paine Armstrong (1799-1856) established a gentleman’s farm and house
for his wife and family just west of downtown Knoxville. He named the farm “Crescent Bend” for
the commanding view of a majestic crescent bend of the Holston River, now called the Tennessee
Downtown Grill & Brewery - All seemed normal, as curses go, until 1897 when the famed "Million Dollar Fire," one of the worst fires in Knoxville history consumed most of the 400 block of Gay Street. At the time, the block was a mix of hotels, hardware stores, pharmacies, retail stores and wholesale businesses. The curse began to cast its shadow in the outline of our block.
Fidelity Building - The Fidelity Building is an office building in Knoxville. Initially constructed in 1871 for the wholesale firm Cowan, McClung and Company, the building was home to Fidelity-Bankers Trust Company during the mid-twentieth century, and has since been renovated for use as office space.
First Baptist Church - First Baptist Church is a historic church located at 510 Main Street in Knoxville. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Historic Knoxville Bleak House - Bleak House, an antebellum mansion of fifteen spacious rooms and wide halls, stands well back on an eminence among lovely trees and elaborately landscaped grounds. The property fronts 250 feet on Kinston Pike and extends over 900 feet in terraced gardens down to Fort Loudon Lake (Tennessee River).
Historic Tennessee Theatre - established in 1928, the Tennessee Theatre is the official state theatre of Tennessee.
History of Knoxville's Downtown Grill and Brewery - In 1897 the famed "Million Dollar Fire," one of the worst fires in Knoxville history, consumed most of the 400 block of Gay Street. At the time, the block was a mix of hotels, hardware stores, pharmacies, retail stores and wholesale businesses. The curse began to cast its shadow in the outline of our block.
History of Knoxville's Ronald McDonald House - The House itself has had a vibrant past. It stands on the site of the old Fort Sanders where, on November 29, 1863, in a bitter cold winter, Union General Ambrose Burnside defended the city of Knoxville from the attack of Confederate General James Longstreet.
History of the Sunsphere - The Sunsphere was constructed for the 1982 World's Fair and during that time, it served as the symbol to the Fair. It was also home to a full service restaurant and the Observation Deck, which cost $2.00 for the elevator ride up for a visit. The Sunsphere closed to the public with the Fair's end and remained vacant or underutilized for most of its post-fair life.
James White's Fort - James White, The Founder of Knoxville, came here in the early 1780's from North Carolina. He had fought in the Revolutionary War and was given a land grant of 1,000 acres for his service. He built his 2-story log house on the present site of Knoxville in 1786.
Knox County Sites on the National Register of Historic Places - Historic districts, residences, businesses, schools, cemeteries, churches, government.
Knox County Properties on the National Register - Lists resource name, address, and date listed.
Knox Heritage, Inc. - The Knox Heritage is dedicated to the preservation of our architecturally or historically significant buildings and places.
Knoxville Sunsphere - The Knoxville Sunsphere was the theme structure for the 1982 World's Fair. It represents the sun, source of energy, and reflected the energy theme of the fair.
Marble City - Stone from Knoxville-area quarries adorns some of the most famous buildings in America. Geologists note that Tennessee marble, often pinkish in hue, is actually a crystalline limestone. However, it has been known as “Tennessee marble” for two centuries.
Marble Springs Historic Site - A Tennessee state 38 acre historic farmstead of Governor John Sevier. There are 5 period outbuildings dating from 1780. The memorial is also listed in the National Registry of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places listings in Knox County, Tennessee - a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Knox County, Tennessee.
Oliver Hotel - Originally built in 1876 as the Peter Kern Bakery, the building has hosted everything from Kern's Ice Cream Parlor to a drugstore to a dancing hall.
Ramsey House Plantation - Ramsey House was built for Colonel Francis Alexander Ramsey, a pioneer citizen who became prominent in the formation of the State of Franklin, the Territory South of the Ohio River, and the State of Tennessee.
Southern Terminal - The Southern Terminal is railway passenger and warehouse depot located at 306 W. Depot Street in Knoxville, Tennesee. The present depot was constructed in 1903, although previous structures are documented in the city from the 1850s. The 1903 depot was designed by Frank P. Milburn, who had designed train stations throughout the south. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and lies within Knoxville's Jackson Avenue Historic District.
Three Rivers Rambler - A scenic 1-1/4 hour round-trip from Volunteer Landing to the forks of the Tennessee River aboard the "Three Rivers Rambler." An historic steam engine, passenger and open-air rail car experience. Saturday and Sunday only (April-November). Private parties and charters available.
Volunteer Landing - Volunteer Landing, a scenic one-mile paved riverwalk along the Tennessee River, houses a regional visitor center, several unique attractions, historical homes and markers, a full-service marina, three restaurants, a premier hotel and refreshing waterfalls and fountains. Whether it's a relaxing stroll or a family outing, Volunteer Landing has something for everyone.
Waterfront Development - In 1988, a 50-member Waterfront Task Force was established to study and develop recommendations for the protection, enhancement, and development of the seven-mile stretch of the Tennessee River between the Forks of the River and the J.E. "Buck" Karnes Bridge.